30 July 2012

Snickerdoodle Cookies



Hello all :) Lets get to the point and talk about one of my favourite topics, cookies. Cookies are just plain ace, I love them all...maybe not those with dried cranberries or cherries in..but thats just me, and they arn't very common, and lets be fair I would probably devour them anyway, so I stand by my original statement. Anyway, I baked these pillowy soft lovelies on a friday to take with me camping that weekend. I have always loved the look of snickerdoodles, cinnamon definitely being a favourite spice of mine, and planned on making the more 'classic' version using cream of tartar. However I found myself craving them the other day and sadly no cream of tartar on hand...so I wandered over to the ace site Joy of Baking (if you have not checked it out before you really should, its simply full of reliable, gorgeous and rated recipes) who had just the snickerdoodles I was looking for! They also point out that baking powder is equivalent to baking soda + cream of tartar, so it made me feel a little less bad for making the newer version!

These were so much better than I could have hoped. They may not look the most interesting or extravagant of cookies, but they have a gorgeously soft middle with a slightly crisp edge, and the flavour is...ahhh..just so good! Perfect sweetness, and this delicious hint of cinnamon as you bite into them, seriously moorish. Another hit with my friends on the weekend, with all 40-odd of them disappearing in the 2 days. Basic ingredients, enjoyed by everyone, I would definitely make these again!


If I have one thing to add to the recipe it's to, after slightly flattening the cinnamon-sugar coated doughballs (yum.), generously sprinkle more of the sugar mix on top before baking. After the first batch came out of the oven I obviously couldn't resist trying one and found the taste not quite as cinnamony as I would like. Don't worry about not having enough sugar mix, I guarantee there is enough to be generous with...and any leftover is SCRUMMY on your morning bowl of porridge..just sayin' :)

Snickerdoodles
Method slightly adapted from Joy of Baking
Makes around 46 cookies

360g (2 3/4 cups) all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
227g (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
300g (1 1/2 cups) white caster/granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

For the coating:
66g (1/3 cup) white caster/granulated sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside
In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar until smooth (2-3 minutes)
Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition
Beat in the vanilla extract
Add the flour mixture and beat until completely incorporated
Refrigerate dough for 1 to 2 hours

Preheat the oven to 190C / 400F and line baking sheets with parchment paper
Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl until evenly mixed
Shape dough into 1 inch balls, roll each ball in the cinnamon sugar and place onto the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart
Flatten each dough ball to about 1/2 inch thick using your fingers/the bottom of a glass
Sprinkle more of the sugar mix on top of the flattened dough balls
Bake in the centre of the oven for 8-10 minutes, until the edges are light brown and the middles are puffy
Place on a wire rack to cool and store in an airtight container


       Sweet little printable :)







Because there isn't much colour in this post...and because they make me smile like a crazylady. Heres a cat doing a funny face and a baby hamster.



No comments:

Post a Comment